Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Don't make me hate you.

Over the weekend I finally settled an issue with a family member who "didn't want to talk about this."
I get that, I really do. I don't want to talk about it, either. But if you keep refusing to talk when I need to, I will hate you. I won't mean to hate you. I won't want to hate you. But you're telling me I'm not worth the time, or enduring the minor discomfort you'd feel during a conversation? No. I'm not gonna smile and play Cool Girl while I silently stew in your bullshit.
We're adults. We talk about it, or we don't talk. Your call. Reasonable? Of course not. But I've learned that NOT communicating solves nothing. It just creates larger problems because now everyone is operating on presumption and hurt feelings.
I forced a 10-minute, in-person conversation because I thought it was worth forcing (because I don't want to spend my life butthurt), and now we're good.
I fucking hate when hippies (ie, my therapist) are right and I can't just be Irish and swallow my rage. Swallowing is my favorite. Oh. Wait, no...

No comments:

Post a Comment