Saturday, March 19, 2016

Hell no, elbow...

OK, this post is long, but a guy I was kissing after a first date took a timeout to mention the dry skin on my elbows, so I think it merits further analysis...

We're at the end of a decent first date. We're kissing. It's not great, but not bad. I like kissing. I like being against a man, even it wasn't quite the physical fit I enjoy. (Ever just FIT with someone? Isn't that the best? It's like two really dirty puzzle pieces.)

I'm wearing a tank top, so he's been touching my neck and shoulders. His hands go under my shirt (because I put them there), and graze the curve between my ribs and hips. He'd mentioned that's one of his favorite parts of a woman, and it happens to be one of my favorite/best physical features.

Then he runs his hands down my bare arms and says, "Your skin is so soft... Well, except your elbows."

*blink*...Sorry, what?

I pull away from him, gesture up and down at my body, carefully outfitted in form-fitting jeans, low-cut tank top with subtle but effective cleavage, lacy bra peeking out if I shifted the right way (which I did...often), and I say, "Really? Allllll this, and you're gonna heckle my ELBOWS?!"

He's not a moron, so he quickly says he was joking, and we get back to kissing after a few minutes of me being Cool-Girl-pseudo-outraged and teasing. But it stuck in my brain.

I mean, he's not wrong. I could stand to loofah. But...

A. Who the fuck thinks of ELBOWS in ANY situation, particularly THIS one? Is this yet another part of my body I'm supposed to angst over and tend to? Should I add this to the list that already includes more extensive maintenance than my fucking car?

B. That's your choice on a first date? A woman is giving your hands free reign all over her body while she makes little noises near your ear so you feel all manly and virile, and you pause to say that out loud? So if we're ever naked together, are you going to point out that I don't wax? That I have cellulite? That I basically have no ass?

Related: Is every inch of YOU gonna be all Beyoncé "Flawless?"

C. Oh, sorry, I must've left "dry elbow skin" off my OkCupid profile. Much like YOU left out that you're 5'6" only if I don't understand how rulers work -- I'm 5', and when I raised to tiptoe out of habit to kiss you, I noticed I didn't need to. Do you exaggerate size often...?

D. If you have enough blood in your brain to notice and form comments about imperfections while your hands and mouth are roaming a woman's neck, shoulders, and waist -- all of which, by the way, are naturally soft and smooth like a baby's ass -- we have bigger issues.

Too bad, too, because up until that point, you had plenty of moisture where it mattered.

I didn't realize in the moment how much it bugged me, but...no. I mentioned today, briefly and nicely among other topics in my response to his most recent email, that I may have taken it too seriously, so I'll see what he says.

The beauty of this is, I really don't care if some dude I've met once thinks I'm crazy, especially since we seemed kind of "Eh...you'll do for now" about each other.

And I know I'm overreacting, but consider The Elbow Heckle in the grand scheme -- FIRST date, you not only have a negative thought about my body, you tell me? Am I going to have to bring my A++ game EVERY time I see you or you'll point out my "flaws?" (Yes, I did just extrapolate a likely innocuous comment into a portent of future emotional abuse... What, like you've never?)

I'm not Perfect Girl, sir. I DO have dry skin. I use lotion on my hands and legs, but apparently skip my elbows, and my feet. I also have a pudgy belly, enough thigh fat to make another pair of thighs, and if you spank my ass during sex, you'll see reverb. My forehead is showing signs of early-onset Worf syndrome. I have pale, weak eyebrows if don't fill them in with pencil, and you'll know it's time for me to go back to the hair salon when you see glints of gray growing in.

If you're expecting perfection in any aspect, you're not getting it from me. Go hit on Gisele. No, really. I BEG you to let me know how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment